Why does every business need a digital marketer? That’s a simple answer, although it consists of two parts. The first part of the answer is that everyone is online and digital strategies deliver better results than traditional media. As you can see in the graphic below that shows the most effective marketing channels, based on the opinions of marketing directors and chief marketing officers while traditional media, such as TV and radio, seriously underperform compared to their online cousins.
The second part of the answer is that digital marketing is very different than traditional marketing. Hence, using the tools and tactics learned in running a traditional marketing campaign can easily doom your digital efforts to abject failure. For instance, social media is much less formal, more personal, and less fussy than PR (public relations) and posting the formalized, long-winded content you would send to a newspaper as a press release makes you look out of touch and doesn’t help build community, which is the goal of social media campaigns.
Digital marketing provides businesses with a cost-effective way to reach a wider audience, increase brand awareness, and drive sales and revenue. Through various digital channels such as social media, email marketing, search engine optimization, and more, businesses can target their ideal target market and tailor their message to meet the needs of each group of consumers interested in their products. For instance, visitors who put something in a shopping cart during in prior visit need messages that can motivate them to return to complete the purchase while consumers who aren’t aware of the brand, need a totally different message if you want to motivate them to visit your website. Digital marketing also allows businesses to measure the effectiveness of their campaigns, allowing them to make data-driven decisions and optimize their marketing strategies for even greater success.
This is why having a digital marketer as part of your team is an essential hire for businesses of all sizes and industries, helping them to stay competitive and achieve their marketing goals in the digital age.
What does it mean to be a digital marketer?
A digital marketer is a professional who specializes in promoting products, services, or brands through various digital channels. This person is responsible for creating and implementing digital marketing campaigns that help a business reach its target market and achieve its marketing goals. The digital marketer you hire must have skills in various areas of digital marketing, including search engine optimization (SEO), pay-per-click (PPC) advertising, social media marketing, email marketing, content marketing, and more. They must also have expertise in analytics and use data-driven insights to measure the effectiveness of their campaigns and make data-driven decisions. Thus, hiring your second cousin because she achieved a large following on Instagram doesn’t effectively fill the need for a digital marketer. As the graphic below demonstrates, there’s a serious gap between the skills necessary to drive effective digital marketing and the talent available in the labor pool.
The role of digital marketers is an essential part of a business’s marketing team, helping to drive online visibility, increase website traffic, generate leads, and, ultimately, drive sales and revenue. If your team doesn’t include a digital marketer, you’re likely missing the boat and could improve market performance by hiring one.
Why digital marketers are Important for every business
Having a digital marketer is important for a business for several reasons:
- Expertise: Digital marketers are trained professionals who have expertise in various digital marketing channels, such as social media, email marketing, search engine optimization, content marketing, SEO link building, and more. Digital marketers have a deep understanding of how these channels work and how to use them to reach a wider audience and achieve business goals. For instance, can you answer each question below to support the value of your digital marketing
- Does the person doing your digital marketing know how to choose the right keywords to make your strategy work?
- Are you on the first page of search results for some or all of these keywords?
- Do you know which content delivers on your marketing goals?
- Are you paying more than necessary for online advertising?
- Are your open and click rates for your email marketing similar to other benchmark firms? Is your churn rate too high?
- Is your website optimized for mobile? Do you present a streamlined customer journey? Is your user experience a good one?
- Time and resource management: Having a digital marketer can help businesses manage their time and resources more efficiently. Instead of spreading themselves thin, business owners can focus on their core competencies while the digital marketer takes care of the firm’s online marketing efforts.
- Do you use time-saving tactics such as a content marketing calendar?
- Are you still posting content the old-fashioned way or using marketing automation to reduce demands on your time?
- Increased online visibility: This professional can help businesses increase their online visibility by implementing strategies such as search engine optimization, social media marketing, and email marketing. This can help businesses attract more traffic to their website and increase their brand awareness.
- Did you know that if you don’t show up on the first page of search results, your brand is nearly invisible to prospective customers?
- Did you know that organic reach on social platforms is nearly impossible right now as platform owners strive to maximize ad revenue?
- Measurable results: Digital marketing provides measurable results, which allows businesses to track the effectiveness of their marketing efforts. They can use various analytics tools to measure the success of a campaign and make adjustments accordingly. Traditional media provides meager data and only when the brand does expensive market research that’s fraught with inaccuracies.
Having a digital marketer can help businesses achieve their marketing goals more effectively and efficiently, ultimately leading to increased revenue and growth.
How can you learn digital marketing?
If you’re interested in becoming a digital marketer, here are some steps you can take:
- Develop your digital marketing skills: Digital marketing requires a range of skills, including content creation, SEO, PPC advertising, social media marketing, email marketing, and more. You can start by learning these skills through some free Udemy courses with certificates, tutorials, and blogs.
- Get hands-on experience: Once you’ve learned the basics, it’s important to get hands-on experience by working on real-world projects. You can gain experience by working on your own projects, volunteering for non-profit organizations, or working as an intern at a marketing agency.
- Build a portfolio: To showcase your skills and experience, it’s important to build a portfolio of your work. This can include case studies, campaign results, and examples of content you’ve created.
- Network with other professionals: Digital marketing is a collaborative field, so it’s important to network with other professionals. You can attend industry events, join online communities, and connect with other professionals on social media.
- Consider getting certified: Many organizations offer digital marketing certifications that can demonstrate your knowledge and skills to potential employers. Certifications are available in areas such as SEO, PPC advertising, social media marketing, and email marketing. Obtaining these certifications increases your chances of a good job and increases your promotion opportunities.
Every business needs skilled digital professionals to take its brand to the next level, yet finding skilled employees is hard, given there’s a shortage of workers with these skills. If you’re looking for a high-paying job with great opportunities for advancement, consider getting the training necessary to become a digital marketer or improve your skills with a certificate in one or more digital areas. Overall, becoming a digital marketer requires a combination of education, hands-on experience, and networking. By building your skills and experience and staying up-to-date with the latest trends and technologies, you can develop a successful career in digital marketing.
Need marketing help to support business growth?
We welcome the opportunity to show you how we can make your marketing SIZZLE with our data-driven, results-oriented marketing strategies. Sign up for our FREE newsletter, get our FREE guide to creating an awesome website, or contact us for more information on hiring us.
Hausman and Associates, the publisher of MKT Maven, is a full-service marketing agency operating at the intersection of marketing and digital media. Check out our full range of services.