Facebook has made some great changes over the last week or so — and these should give your social media marketing a great boost. The first change is the Facebook Questions App and the second Facebook change involves new editing features.
New Facebook Questions App
Facebook questions give businesses the opportunity to ask their fans questions — the Facebook questions can be either open ended questions or a poll where fans vote among a list of options. Sounds pretty mundane, doesn’t it? But this little app can be the secret to increasing engagement with your fans, which increases the return on your social media marketing investment.
Here’s how it works.
- First, you have to install the question app onto your Facebook fanpage.
- Next, ask a question.
- The question is posted on the walls of all your fans. They can select the question to answer it — the good thing is all their friends also see the question and can go to your fanpage to answer it.
- When people answer the question, that fact is posted on their wall.
- You can also invite friends from your profile page to answer the questions.
- Your fans can invite their friends to answer the question, as well.
- PRESTO – ENGAGEMENT
How Facebook Questions Help Boost Your Fanpage
All the conversation going on surrounding the question and its answers provides lots of opportunities to create a dialogue with your fans. The trick is to ask questions likely to entertain your fans — preferably something that gets a friendly competition going where fans take sides and encourage friends to answer the question so their side gets more votes. A little controversy gets everyone talking.
Now, visitors don’t have to become fans to answer or vote on your question. In fact, the only evidence that the question came from your company is a small logo (or whatever picture you use on your Fanpage) and a link to your fanpage. If you’re hoping Facebook questions will instantly increase your fan base, then Facebook questions are not for you. The benefits of Facebook questions are a little more subtle.
- Facebook questions can help you discover more about your fans. This allows you to target posts so their more aligned with what your Fans are interested in. Facebook answers can also tell you more about your target marketing, in general. This can be valuable in creating new products or positioning existing products so they’re a better fit with your target market.
- Facebook questions get your fans and their friends talking about your brands.
- Fans may come to your Fanpage more often to see how people are voting or what other answers have been posted.
- In answering the questions, fans seem motivated to post comments explaining their answers (at least they have in some of my test questioning on MarketingThatWorks.TV). Increased engagement on your fanpage motivates other visitors to comment — since it seems like the thing to do and everyone else is doing it. Increased engagement on your fanpage also increases the likelihood that your status updates will appear on the walls of your fans.