While social media marketing can be pretty challenging, here are some steps and marketing tools* to make it easier.
1. Learn and plan
Learning and planning are the first steps and one of the most important marketing tools out there to help make your digital marketing success. To help, I’ve created an ebook to get you started (sorry, it’s a little out of date, but I’ll revise it soon). Just subscribe to my email newsletter and you’ll not only get the book for FREE, but you’ll also get emails 2-3 times a month with new tips and advice to keep you going and to support your success.
Create a marketing plan
2. Choose the marketing right tools
I really think a website is a must-have for doing social media marketing. Sure, social platforms are important, but it’s hard to sell from Facebook, Twitter, etc. These platforms likely send folks to your WEBSITE, where they get more information and convert into leads or sales.
Key to operating an effective website is creating valuable content on a consistent basis — I normally create blog posts about 3X a week. If you’ve never created a website before, it can seem pretty scary. But there are plenty of websites with valuable advice on how to create a site. Here are some tools to help get you started (also the ebook walks you through the necessary steps)
- Find a domain – keywords used to be incredibly important in finding a good domain name. Now, you can easily choose a name based on other criteria such as easy to spell, easy to remember, etc. Keywords are still good, so use the Google Keyword Planner to help understand what folks are searching for (don’t worry, it’s housed within Adwords, but you can use the planner without paying for Google Ads).
- Buy your domain for at least a couple of years. I use GoDaddy because it’s easy, but you can use other tools. I do recommend you NOT take your hosting company up on their offer of a free domain, as it might be hard to get it back if you leave the hosting company.
- Get hosting, which is a physical location on the internet for your files to hang out. Look for someone with a good track record for being up. There’s a big difference to website performance between 99% and 99.9%. I’ve used HostGator and it’s cheap and has a good record. Now, I’m using LiquidWeb because it was recommended by someone I respect. You’ll need to link your domain to hosting (again, I include instructions in the ebook).
- Install WordPress. It’s FREE and you can install if from within your hosting. Instructions are in the ebook.
- You’ll need a theme. I’ve tried lots and find Genesis the most reliable. You’ll likely want both the theme and a child theme. Genesis Framework
- Modify the theme and you’re off to the races. Create unique content your target audience finds valuable.
Create social platforms
You’ll likely want several social platforms — Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIN, Pinterest …..
Each requires a cover image and user image (they might use different names for these). You’ll need images that fit the specifications of the particular platform — if you don’t know, simply search the site for the required image sizes. I use Photoshop to create and edit images, but you can use SumoPaint for free (it’s a little quirky).
Don’t know which platforms to use? Here’s a handy review of what you get from each platform, as well as recommendations for successful post types on each.
Keeping up with sharing content to various social platforms can be challenging. I use Hootsuite to automate my task, as well as schedule posts for when they’ll be more effective. I use pro, but you can use the free version. If you want to give the Pro version a try, HootSuite Pro – Free 30 day trial
You’ll want to measure how successful you are. Install Google Analytics (a free plugin) on your website and use Facebook Insights to see what’s going on with your Facebook page. Monitor metrics related to the goals you set for your social media marketing program.
I know this is a lot of material. I hope you try some of my marketing tools and tips.
By reading my ebook and posts created on this site every week, you’ll learn more about how to create a successful social media marketing campaign. If you still feel overwhelmed, we’re here for you. We offer everything from coaching to completely implemented solutions. So, whether you just want a social media marketing plan or someone to provide analytics reports, or a complete solution, we can help.
Please contact me to schedule a FREE 30-minute appointment to show you how Hausman & Associates can make your marketing SIZZLE!
*note: some of these links are affiliate links, but I only recommend products I’ve used and love.