Imagine getting lost in a new city without a map or GPS. That’s the same thing that happens to a business without updated data mapping software. Data mapping is the process of linking data from one information system of the business to different data from another information system. To connect these data sets, you need a predefined set of methods. Data mapping is very beneficial to any business as it makes decision-making more data-driven which helps minimize various potential issues that lead to lower sales and profits. With data mapping, managers and other stakeholders have access to vast amounts of actionable information and they can easily understand large amounts of data without confusion that results from isolated databases.
According to Wikipedia, data mapping is:
In computing and data management, data mapping is the process of creating data element mappings between two distinct data models. Data mapping is used as a first step for a wide variety of data integration tasks including: Data transformation or data mediation between a data source and a destination.
And, if you’re more visual, here’s an example of data mapping.
Benefits of data mapping
Data mapping is not only a good means to keep updated records but has the following advantages:
- Get all the company’s information in an organized manner.
- With easy access to information, it results in faster decision-making.
- Increased efficiency in all business operation.
- Through improved customer relations, it increases sales and overall profit.
- It gives the managers and workers ability to identify any emerging trends and act on them
- It is also an excellent method to get your business in Google Maps
Data mapping techniques
Different techniques are used to transform data from different information systems in an organization to one visual representation. These techniques include:
- Data-driven mapping — it involves evaluating data from two different sources simultaneously using heuristics and statistics. The analysis is done to discover complex mapping between the two data sets. It is the most common technique since it automatically finds transformations between the two data types.
- Transformation logic – this technique is used to create applications responsible for data mapping.
- Semantic – Semantic mapping is similar to the auto-connect feature that is used in graphics mapping. The only difference is that the metadata registry can’t be used to look up for data element synonyms. Semantic can only discover exact matches between data columns.
- Hand-coded – this involves data mapping while using graphical mapping tools, procedural code or by creating XSLT transforms.
Data mapping software
Different companies are slowly generating new and better software to help map your data. They are well-equipped with tools and features that help regulate customer service and build customer relationship through updated customer data. The software includes:
Big data refers to the immensity of data produced through a combination of web (clickstream, search), IoT (the internet of things), and various internal databases, such as CRM systems. Big data is reflects both massive volume and high complexity — consisting of both structured and unstructured data across disparate databases.
Big data software, like Hadoop, makes it easier for businesses to use data to optimize decision-making. In small businesses with fewer customers, big data software may be too complex and expensive. However, larger businesses find it’s imperative to use big data software to understand customers and make better decisions. Big data allows you to understand customers wants and preferences, and build relationships with them by offering the right solution to their problems. Check out recommendations here to learn more about using customer data to drive ROI.
Firms like Netflix and Amazon use big data to make recommendations based on previous customer actions. Because recommendations and messaging are more focused on the particular needs of the individual customer, customers are more likely to purchase and become loyal to the company, which brings more profits to the firm. Other companies use big data to understand how messaging resonates with their target audience to optimize their communication to drive purchase. Finally, big data offers insights that allow firms to match messaging with the customer’s stage in the buying process.
eSpatial is enterprise data mapping software that allows you to create data visualizations from your spreadsheets, creating eye-catching and informative representations that enable faster and more effective interpretation. eSpatial maps data from spreadsheets onto Google Maps allowing you to upload, visualize, and analyze multiple layers of data, supporting local marketing efforts such as identifying opportunities and routing logistics.
eSpatial provides better communications, increased efficiencies, higher profits, and clearer insights. It allows you to create color-coded maps, beautiful maps, and charts and helps you make informed decisions since you have all the data at your fingertips. It is a good way to increase your sales as most people can easily track your location.
Maptive is a tool for easy data mapping that allows effective visualization without a lot of training or knowledge of data mapping software. Maptive is also one of the cheapest software options for data mapping. It collects data from your spreadsheets and gives you an option of deciding how you want the data to appear on maps. It is linked to Google Maps for easy location finding and provides information such as sales territories, business locations, heat maps, and more.
Other mapping software
Other data mapping software options exist on the internet and might work very effectively in your data mapping activity. Before choosing a specific software, ensure that it can do the following:
- Offers standard data visualization features
- Should be able to perform data analysis which helps managers make informed decisions.
- Easy to use. It should require less or no training.
- It must be linked with cloud for easy retrieval of data
- It must be capable of handling large data for big enterprises
- Ability to generate reports quickly. The reports must be clearly outlined in easy-to-follow guidelines.
Data mapping is also the only working alternative for lost records and mismanaged records. Data mapping helps a company generate updated reports that help in running the business. Use the best data mapping software from the internet to effective map your data and increase your profit.
About the Author: Robert Cordray is a former business consultant and eentrepreneur with over 20 years of experience and a wide variety of knowledge in multiple areas of the industry. He currently resides in the Southern California area and spends his time helping consumers and business owners alike try to be successful. When he’s not reading or writing, he’s most likely with his beautiful wife and three children.