There’s no doubt that the way consumers shop for goods and services changes as technology advances. Gone are the days when businesses advertised solely through traditional media, like TV, radio, and print as more consumers start a product search online, as you can see below. The wider range of advertising channels means that, if you want to grow your brand, you need to have a carefully crafted online marketing strategy. If you’re new to business or haven’t developed an online strategy to deliver success, we have you covered. In today’s post, we’ll offer 4 tips to grow your brand in a digital world. So, read on and enjoy!
How to grow your brand online
1. Develop a strong online presence
Since your consumers are likely online, you need a strong online presence if you want to reach them. But where should you market your brand online? Great question.
Choose the right platforms
Online marketing channels are very fractured and most small and mid-sized businesses must choose their marketing efforts carefully, based on their target market because they don’t have the resources to market through all the available channels. Here are my suggestions for MUST-HAVE marketing channels and online tactics:
- A website because you own it and have ultimate control over it, unlike other channels where you’re at the whim of the platform owner. Sales made on your website also belong to you, 100%.
- Two or three social media platforms that match your target market. Below, you can see sample demographics and usage options for some of the most popular social media platforms in the US. Other platforms are more popular outside the US. For instance, Asia has a few popular social media platforms including WeChat and Tencent QQ. The exact number of social media platforms out there is the subject of debate but one concrete number I found is 120. That number continues to grow every year and most platforms have a relatively small number of users, sometimes in a niche. For instance, Truth Social, developed to compete with Twitter, is a haven for conservative politics. Also, consider the usage options on each platform. For instance, TikTok is a video platform favoring very short videos while YouTube favors longer videos. Instagram is image-based and you can’t share links in your post until you have a substantial number of followers while Twitter posts do well even without visual elements as it’s more text-based. Choose your platforms wisely based on where your target market hangs out online.
Choose the right tactics
In addition to online channels, you have a variety of tactics you can use to grow your brand online. Here are some great options:
- Email marketing is a great online tactic and delivers the highest ROI of any online tactic. To work effectively, you must plan strategies to grow your subscriber list and send relevant, valuable messages on the right schedule.
- SMS or short message service is a tactic for delivering short messages to users’ smartphones. You might also include tactics such as using messaging services to reach users, including Facebook Messenger and WeChat.
- SEO or search engine optimization, in simple terms, uses techniques to make your content rank as high as possible in search engine results. After all, we usually click links that show up near the top of our Google search results, right? That’s because we learned that the Google ranking algorithm is designed to assess the quality of links from the user’s perspective so choosing higher ranking links often delivers best for our needs. The better you apply SEO strategies, the higher you go in search results and the more users visit your website. All things being equal, more traffic delivers higher sales than less traffic. The biggest single factor in ranking well is crafting valuable content on a consistent basis on your website. The second major factor to consider to improve your search rank is creating engagement for your social media efforts.
- Third-party platforms such as Amazon are a great way to reach customers online. The benefits include extensive reach as Amazon is one of the most frequently visited e-commerce platforms in the world. The downside is that you must share profits from your Amazon store with the company, you have less control over your online presence, and you face a lot more direct competition.
2. Conversion rate optimization
It’s not enough to drive traffic to your website or post content on social platforms. You must make the most of that traffic by optimizing your conversion rate. Here are some tools to help you optimize your conversion rate:
- A/B testing, especially on your landing pages to determine which options perform best. Test elements such as images, CTA (calls to action), button size and color, and the benefits statement
- Create custom landing pages, more on this in the next section
- Ensure accuracy in your product images and descriptions
- Offer a variety of payment options
- Don’t hide costs
- Streamline your shopping cart
3. Personalize your customer journey
To stay relevant in the market, you must always think of your customers. Listening to what they have to say about your product and service will give you insight into areas of improvement and your “charm points”.
From the data you’ve gathered, you can formulate and implement strategies that specifically cater to your customer’s concerns. This increases the possibility of getting recommendations from existing customers and expanding your customer base.
Armed with this information, create customized customer journeys to make it easy for users. For instance,
- Coordinate a customer’s online journey across devices so if a customer begins a journey on a mobile device, they don’t have to start over if they use a desktop device to complete the transaction.
- Send personalized emails containing not just the subscriber’s name but content that matches their needs. An email sent to remind a subscriber they left something in their shopping cart or to offer more options to those left is a great example of this.
- Use data collected on customer journeys to make them more successful for users.
4. Take advantage of modern technologies
Many businesses think that with the rise of AI, customers won’t feel connected with advertisements and products in general. However, this is not the case at all. For instance, AI is a boon to content creators and alleviates some of the burden of crafting content on a consistent basis. You can use AI like ChatGPT to craft drafts of your content and reduce the amount of time spent on this task. Use a chatbot to offer 24/7 online customer service that acts like a human customer service representative.
For example, you won’t be able to keep up with increasing digital spaces if you only use traditional marketing strategies. Your creative ideas will not reach your prospects if you apply the same strategies from ten years ago. This is the case for DrHouse, which integrated online and mobile communication technologies into their medical consultations. Now, you can easily consult with a health professional with only a few clicks. Online medical records mean your patients can see upcoming visits, test results, and get customized recommendations to improve their health.
The key here is to adapt and take advantage of modern technologies. This way, you’ll have a far wider reach, making you grow your brand despite the changing times.
Technology has always been our friend no matter what we do. It helps make our lives more convenient and better as each day passes. This is the same with businesses. In a digital age, we can only adapt and take the lead in the market through using technology. You can follow our simple tips and watch your business grow in no time.
Need marketing help to support business growth?
We welcome the opportunity to show you how we can make your marketing SIZZLE with our data-driven, results-oriented marketing strategies. Sign up for our FREE newsletter, get our FREE guide to creating an awesome website, or contact us for more information on hiring us.
Hausman and Associates, the publisher of MKT Maven, is a full-service marketing agency operating at the intersection of marketing and digital media. Check out our full range of services.