Michael Brenner recently published a post containing 33 stats on the future of content marketing
I really like the facts listed in the post, especially the fact that all are linked to the original source — so you know whether to believe the data or not. But, I thought the presentation a little boring.
So, I created a video that not only makes the 33+ facts about content marketing more fun but also more functional.
Let’s take a look at some of the 33+facts about content marketing.
Why use content marketing?
Duh? That’s a silly question, but if you’ve been living in a cave for the last year, here are some facts for you:
1. Searches for the words “content marketing” are up 400%. More folks search for content marketing now because content marketing is used pretty ubiquitously by marketers because IT WORKS! Content marketing encourages users to join your social networks, trust your brand, and, ultimately, buy your products.
2. Content marketing also helps users find you online, as fresh, valuable content is one of the most important factors in your SERPs (search engine results). In fact, now that Google changed its algorithm (Hummingbird) content is even MORE important in determining your search results than ever before.
How are folks using content marketing?
Many different ways. Often in combination.
- White papers (BTW, check out my new white paper on creating a website)
- Webinars and podcasts
Brands also curate content, in addition to create unique content. Using a combination of curated and created content, brands establish their credibility and reputation online and off.
Lots of challenges plague content marketing, some of which are listed in my 33+ facts about content marketing. Time, money, content, strategy, and other challenges exist.
Sometimes the biggest challenge is convincing the C-suite that content marketing will work — despite evidence showing how other firms achieve higher conversion and lead generation with content marketing. Getting non-marketing types, especially non-technical managers, to understand the value and commit the resources necessary to fuel and effective content marketing strategy is challenging. I once had a prospective client say “we’re not comfortable talking about anything except ourselves” in their content marketing. Epic Fail.
Creating a content marketing strategy that works!
- Establish goals — SMART goals
- Put an effective team together whether that’s using internal members or hiring an outside agency to create content (or maybe managing your entire strategy). Creating content requires skills in writing, editing, and some technology, but it doesn’t have to be someone from inside the company. And, it isn’t something you just add to someone’s job description. And don’t think you can pay a few dollars and buy all the content you need (much of that is duplicates sold to many other sites). Consistent, high-quality content requires a significant effort.
- Create an editorial calendar to ensure consistency and avoid struggling about what to write about. Be sure to include content curation as part of your calendar. But, monitor what’s going on in the outside world to avoid appearing insensitive when events dictate.
- Build relationships with others to encourage guest posts (as well as guest posting on others’ blogs). Find influencers to help share your content.
- Monitor your results and make changes based on these results.
- Review your content marketing strategy at least once a year and update your content marketing calendar on a monthly basis.
Need marketing help to support business growth?
We welcome the opportunity to show you how we can make your marketing SIZZLE with our data-driven, results-oriented marketing strategies. Sign up for our FREE newsletter, get the 1st chapter of our book on digital marketing analytics – FREE, or contact us for more information on hiring us.
Hausman and Associates, the publisher of MKT Maven, is a full-service marketing agency operating at the intersection of marketing and digital media. Check out our full range of services.