Wish you knew where to start marketing your brand online?
Well, you’re in luck.
Semester-long digital marketing practicum
Next semester, I’ll have 4 teams of JMU students (Seniors) running a digital marketing practicum. Students were hand-picked for this practicum and were selected based on high achievement across their JMU program and the marketing program in particular, as well as their achievements in other digital marketing classes. These students already have :
- Hubspot certification
- MailChip certification
- Social media experience from a semester-long class
- Digital Marketing class (full-semester)
- And, most completed internships over the summer with leading companies helping implement digital marketing
Student teams will choose their company from those who applied around the middle to end of January. If chosen, teams will work with your company to complete a comprehensive digital marketing plan, then implement portions of the plan including:
- Google Ads (formerly Adsense). JMU is contributing $250 for each team to allow students to learn the ins and outs of Google Ads and prepare entries for the Google Academic Online Challenge. Last year, teams entered into this competition, with 2 JMU teams finishing in the top 5.
- Social media advertising (as appropriate). Students will create ads on appropriate social media, such as Facebook, Twitter, or LinkedIn. You MUST supply $250 for these ads.
- Teams will create a complete digital marketing strategy to aid chosen companies in delivering market performance, monitor that performance and include suggestions for improvement.
What you need to do:
- In the comments, please tell students why they should choose your company for their project.
- If selected, you must submit a check for $250 to JMU department of Marketing within 15 days.
- Meet with your team as needed (most communications will be via phone, Skype, or email).
- Provide the necessary images and links as needed. If you have a style guide, please provide that to students.
- Approve search ads and social media advertising within 24 hours after students submit it to you.
- Keep your ad changes to a maximum of 2.
- This is a learning experience for the students, so allow them as much flexibility as possible.
Digital marketing plan: fine print
In addition to receiving $500 in advertising for $250, you’ll receive a digital marketing strategy customized for your brand. The plan will consist of a situation analysis of your brand, its competition, its existing strategy, and external factors that might impact your success (such as the economy). You’ll also receive a suggested strategy highlighting details of projects you might consider to optimize your market performance. You can learn more about a digital marketing strategy here.